Tuesday 22 March 2011

Barbara Windsor's Comedy Roast.


Yes I know it's a bit 'after the event' but I thought I'd give you my perspective of this event as I was actually in the audience.

What was recorded on the evening bore little resemblance to what was actually broadcast. The actual recording was about 2 hours long and VERY rude - in places it went beyond 'near the knuckle'. I am in no way a prude and thrive on innuendo and double entendres but this was actually quite nasty in places. Patrick Kielty was especially cruel.

Barbara looked genuinely shocked at times and kept muttering things like 'what time's this going out' etc... She had a few rather worried exchanges with a guy who was either her PA or something to do with her publicity. On occasion I couldn't even look at her following particularly vitriolic comments. I'm sure she's heard all the old gangster and toyboy jokes before but on this evening they descended into an unpleasant tirade of abuse from the alleged comedians. Apart from Bernard Cribbins, who was a perfect gentleman and Christopher Biggins.

I left the event quite shocked and I can't emphasise enough how un PC I am and how much I usually like quite 'rude' humour. There's a huge gulf however between something that's funny and something that's just plain crude. I really felt for Babs that evening. And 'gawd bless her', during one of the breaks in filming she trolled around the audience shaking hands and full of 'thanks for coming darlin'' etc... Thankfully Scott (her husband) wasn't there or I should imagine that the event may have made the 10 o'clock news that night. 'Comedians punched in face by irate husband' would have been the headline.

1 comment:

Coney Ireland said...

I too was at this recording and I found very little to laugh at. That said I didn't feel any degree of sympathy for Barbara Windsor as at the end of the evening she was at least laughing her way to the bank - I was walking to the tube in the perishing cold.

LubyvisionDirecTV DVRDvddropshippersElite Entertainment NYStarwars
Get Free Links